Sunday, August 26, 2007

Pre-BROL ride Thursday August 23.

We had a near collison near the start of the ride where all of us pulled off the side of the road as a crazed woman passed a slower (doing speed limit of course) pickup truck and almost took out the whole group. After we all regrouped and were fine to continue we communicated "car back" a lot more. A little rain fell after the ride started. It occured just as the group was getting near the falls. By the time we got to the falls the sky had darkened and a few thunders were heard. However while we waited underneath some weather protection, the skies lightened up and we were off again. But I digress, Tom Barone had fell here and broke his stem and seat strut. The handle bars were splinted and deemed well enough to shift for rest of ride. The seat strut was not found out until very late in the ride. Half way through the ride we picked up another 10 or so riders, we met at the whirlpools parking lot. The rest of the ride was under sunny skies and was a very nice ride. After lunch at the Epicurean (http://www.restaurantica.com/restaurants/5791/) food stop. As someone with food allergy/senseitivity they were very, very good to me and helped me select a great lunch. The ride back was as fun as the ride to NOTL, at a specific point we split to either go into Queenston and ride the escarpment from there or ride on the road. I chose the road and continued on road to top of Escarpment. A bunch of us regrouped at steps to monuement and waited until co-leader Joe told us we could go on as groups tend to separate here. After the mid point I went on ahead with Keith and flew into Niagara Falls. After Niagara Falls most of the riders went back on the trails, I chose the road. I noticed shortly after the bridge work over the inlet that I was off the track, and I asked the person in the car beside me how to get back to parkway. She got off the cell phone and told me the direction I had to go. I recognized the road and road back half on roadway and half on bicycle path. The reason to ride on bicycle path here is when your mouth drops from seeing the size of the mansions, that I would not swerve into traffic.



http://picasaweb.google.com/bikeboy999/PreBROL

No comments: