Sunday, June 22, 2008

Are painted cycling lanes really "safe"?

After a few close calls riding on the cycling lane side of the painted line I have come to a conclusion that cycling lanes are not the safe areas that folk tend to think that they are. When in the lane you are invisible to the people driving their vehicles and they tend to drift to the line or over it. When you ride a tick on the car lane side of the line most vehicles cross over the centre line. I have noticed that the large truck drivers do not get upset and actually respect my choice. I have no opinion on the segregated bicycle lanes except that in most cases they are actually "MURPS" (multi use RECREATIONAL paths). And as such have dogs chase you, kids running across path make them more dangerous than driving in traffic as traffic. As for the people who use Montreal as an example of safe bicycle lanes, well I was totally suprised that I found my self avoiding the streets that had the segregated cycling lanes. The segregated lanes mean that you have other cyclists/skaters coming at you in a 1.5m wide lane separated from motor vehicle traffic. Most times the separation is a cement curb or plastic poles in the pavement. BTW neither stop the effect of a smaller lane when the car driver opens his door without checking (as there is little chance his door will get hit by a motorized vehicle) and cuts small lane down even more. In conclusion to have a safe ride, BE VISIBLE, BE PREDICTABLE and BEHAVE LIKE TRAFFIC. For an extra measure of comfort add a mirror to the bicycle of choice and make eye contact before doing any manoeuvre.


Bikeboy999

No comments: